Mould Removal Products (Anti-Microbial) — Why they won’t work

When mould has infected your environment the automatic response is to just go down to the store and buy some mould removal product. It is easy to believe that any product claiming to effectively remove mould will actually do so. But here is where we must be careful, not all products claiming to clean mould will actually do it properly.

Chlorine Based Mould Removers

These types of mould removers make up most of the market.  But despite being so common, it’s effects are not always advertised, and do not work effectively as some other solutions. While using bleach may indeed kill mould there are a few problems with it.

a blank spray bottle of domestic cleaner

  1. It is harmful to humans
    While it may kill mould, it is harmful to touch. Upon touch bleach with bare hands, the skin will begin to itch and be irritated. It is at this point imperative that the skin be washed. If left long enough this can cause permanent pigment discoloration and skin tissue damage. If in haled it can cause damage to your lungs and if it is your eye debilitation effects can occur. Decreasing one risk (mould) while increasing another (chlorine based mould removers) just does not make for common sense.
  2. It is harmful to surfaces
    These mould removers may also be harmful to the surfaces themselves. They can cause discoloration of any type of paint and damage the surface.
  3. It does not kill all mould
    While these mould killers may actually kill mould in a perfect environment, it does not have the ability to kill mould down to its roots (what we call mould hyphae). While visually it will appear to be gone, the roots will indeed still be alive and well and the mould will continue to grow again.
  4. Dead mould is just as dangerous as live mould
    When cleaning mould with these mould killers, the mould is not removed from the surface. As a result, dead mould is left on the surface. While inactive and unable to reproduce when dead, if the mould on the surface is inhaled or rubbed into skin or eyes it can be highly hazardous.

The way we do it

To clean mould appropriately, depending on the surface and environment, we use a variety of different ways. But as a general rule of thumb the process we take is.

  1. HEPA vacuum each surface in the environment, even those without visual mould growth (to get all nonvisible spores)
  2. Damp wiping of each area with microfiber cloth and appropriate solution (discussed below)
  3. HEPA vacuum surfaces again to gather up any loose spores that might have landed during cleaning

During this process we run the environment under negative pressure air filtration. There are a couple of ways to do this. The first is to suck air dirty air in with a blower and blow it out through a containment tube venting outside. The other is to set up a HEPA filtration using to suck dirty air in and blow clean air out the environment through a containment tube. This helps the HEPA filter to target only dirty air, and once the bulk of the air has been treated for a day or two, we can switch to a neutral pressure air filtration.

We also will set up containment barriers to stop the potential spread of the mould spores that are getting sent up into the air as we clean.

Call Us

If you have mould problem at your house, call us now. There is no problem too big for us and we specialise in removing of both small and large mould infestations. Once of the mould is removed we can provide mould testing to confirm the removal.